I really liked the Disney parody for copyright and fair use. I think that was a fun way to learn and it would be a great way to teach younger kids about a pretty difficult subject matter. I've taken a couple Business Law classes and I still got some of the answers in the copyright quiz wrong!
I think the Internet Detectives site was a good tool but I found it a little boring to follow along with. Some of it was so basic I was really grateful to have the side bar option so I could skip through.
How would some of you deal with copyright issues in a classroom? There seem to be so many rules that it makes it hard for us to keep up, let alone younger children!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Honestly I would probably show the Disney Parody for the copyright and fair use laws, i found them much easier to follow and very funny.Students tend to responed and retain information better when it's fun like that. I would also probably have a workshop for it so I made sure everyone was on the same page for understanding the laws and maybe I would have one assignment a month that had to do with these issues until everyone understood the laws. I just really think it's important to make uit enjoyable for the students and the teacher or nobodies going to retain the information long or the way they should.
ReplyDeleteIn terms of teaching copy right laws I agree with Annemarie. You have to make the material accessible for students to even begin to care. I think this is a hard topic to teach because how many people truly follow copyright laws in their everyday life?
ReplyDeleteIn terms of following copyright laws in my classroom I believe it is always important to "practice what you preach." Students should always be expected to site research and use information responsibly and so do we as educators. We must always give credit where credit is due. I believe that once everyone gets use to following the correct laws it will become second nature.
"I think the Internet Detectives site was a good tool but I found it a little boring to follow along with"
ReplyDeleteI agree. While pretty informative I felt like the site took too long to explain it. It also lacked anything new to keep the attention of readers that might have a good grasp already.
And that is where the Disney movie shined. Even though it had a lot of information that I had just read about, I remained glued to the screen.